As part of its efforts to ensure continued food supply for the country, the Department of Agriculture, Land Reform and Rural Development is offering support for small farmers and smallholders who are currently in production and preparing for winter crops.
Smallholders and communal farmers with an annual turnover of between R20 000 and R1 million are eligible to apply for assistance. The funding is a grant and the system will apply in partnership with distributors and manufacturers of these inputs. The grant will not exceed R50 000 per operation. Applicants must already be in production – this is not a grant to set up a farming business.
Supported products include:
* Poultry – day olds, point of lay chickens, feed, medication and sawdust;
* Vegetables – seed, seedlings, fertilizer, pesticides, herbicides and soil correction;
* Fruit – final spraying programmes for fruits that are ready for harvest;
* Livestock – feed and medication;
* Winter crops – soil correction, fertilizer, seeds, herbicides and pesticides.
* Complete the application form found here; and submit – along with the documents listed below – to the appropriate address found in the application form;
* Submit proof of financial records or evidence of income if financial records cannot be accessed due to the lockdown;
* Valid SA ID copy, certified not older than three months;
* Valid confirmation of land tenure/ownership;
* Proof of access to water for irrigation in the case of fruits, vegetables and winter crops (water license/rights or proof of an application for one, borehole or other water sources);
* Applicants must not be employees of government.
For more information and where the send your application, click here.